[JOB VACANCY] Alliance Lead
We Exist! is seeking an Alliance Lead to lead the development of a newly formed Syrian civil society coalition that serves as the first of its kind, bringing together humanitarian, human rights, and other Syrian organizations for representation in Europe and on an international scale. The Alliance Lead will be responsible for overseeing and expanding the day-to-day work of the coalition, building its base and increasing its visibility and participation in international fora as an active platform making the voice of Syrian civil society heard.
- Developing and executing a strategy for the initiative's international engagement, coming priorities, and long-term sustainability
- Organizing and holding meetings with policy makers, diplomats, and other members of the international community to discuss the work and position of We Exist!
- Managing and coordinating among the member organizations of We Exist!, including planning joint events, statements, campaigns, etc.
- Building the coalition's membership by drawing in new civil society organizations via public engagement and outreach
- Contributing to international discussions relevant to the Syria conflict while representing the coalition and setting agendas and priorities
- Managing some administrative tasks such as coordinating finances and grants
- Occasional travel to locations of international meetings or conferences
The ideal candidate will possess:
- At least a university bachelor's degree, with a master's degree preferred, in studies related to conflict, development, non-governmental organisations, journalism, civil society, the Middle East, or other topics related to the Syrian conflict
- Significant work experience (2+ years) in advocacy and campaigning as well as experience engaging with international organisations and actors
- A solid understanding of the Syrian conflict and its response, both in terms of humanitarian, human rights, and political/development actors
- Fluent written and spoken English, with fluent spoken and written Arabic highly preferred
- Strong ability to self-start and work independently, managing multiple tasks and priorities, as well as to create and identify opportunities to contribute to the growth of the platform
The primary location of this position is flexible, preferably in Berlin. This is a six-month position with the possibility of extension.
Applications to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org no further than 31 January 2018 or apply here
About We Exist!
Founded in 2017, We Exist! is an advocacy alliance of over 25 Syrian civil society organisations that aims to provide a platform for strengthened engagement of Syrian civil society in life-saving humanitarian efforts as well as long-term work promoting human rights, dignity, justice, accountability, and an eventual peace and reconstruction in the country.
By drawing attention to the diverse and brave efforts of Syrian civil society to protect humanity inside Syria, We Exist! aims to challenge narratives that condemn worsening atrocities in Syria and frame ordinary Syrian as simply victims or security threats. So far, We Exist! has outlined recommendations to the Brussels Conference on Syria, for example.
We Exist! is made up of the following Syrian organizations:
- Basma & Zaitouneh
- Center for equal citizenship
- Citizens for Syria
- Fazaa. e.V
- Hurras Network -Child guardians
- Initiative for a New Syria
- Palestinian league for human rights
- PEL-The civil waves
- pour une Syrie laique et democratique
- Rethink Rebuild Society
- Sawa for Development and Aid
- Smile of Hope
- Syrian Center for Media and Freedom of Expression
- Syrian Legal Development Program
- Syrian Network of Human Rights
- Syrians for Truth and Justice
- Violations Documentation Centre
- Women now for development